Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mango-Banana Smoothie

I freaking love smoothies. I make them a few times a week, especially now that it is officially summer and extraordinarily hot outside. I've been tempted in the past by those smoothie restaurants, and yes, I'll admit to getting them now and again if I'm in a hurry. However, every time I do, I'm disappointed by two things: There are way too many calories in those things, and they're never even half as good as the ones that I make at home with fresh, organic produce.

This smoothie was the perfect post-run snack. It has everything I need to refuel after a strenuous workout, plus its cold and satisfying. I added flax seeds to this, which are super healthy, especially for vegetarians (they contain a lot of nutrients like omega 3's that are primarily found in meat).


From Food pics




Ingredients: 

1 banana
1 cup frozen mango (either buy it frozen or freeze the fresh fruit that you already have)
1 cup low fat soy milk
1 scoop protein powder, either plain or vanilla flavor
1 tbsp ground flax seeds

1. Blend and enjoy! If its too thick, keep adding milk or water until its at your desired consistency. 

No comments: