Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not-so-bad-for-you stuffed french toast

I'm always sorely tempted when I go to an IHOP or Denny's and see the stuffed french toast. I've never gotten it because I imagine its similar to eating an entire funnel cake by yourself, but dang it looks good! (I'm not going to lie, I'm also tempted by the grilled cheese/mozzarella stick sandwich at Denny's...but I digress).

This recipe was pretty tasty - I actually made it for a dessert rather than breakfast. I used low-fat cream cheese and 1 egg white to cut calories. I'm tagging this as vegan because I'm also including a vegan version, though I didn't make the vegan version myself.

Ingredients:
1 slice of bread, cut in half
1 egg white
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp cinnamon
a pinch ground cloves
a pinch nutmeg
2 tbs cream cheese (but I bet this would be awesome with brie)
2 tbs your favorite jam or preserves (I used pear with honey and ginger)

From Food pics

1. Spread the jam on one side of the bread, and the cream cheese on the other. Put together like a sandwich.

2. Mix the egg white with the milk and spices; whisk

From Food pics

3. Soak the sandwich in the egg mixture. The egg should coat both sides, and you can press the bread to make it really absorb the eggs.

4. Heat a small skillet (medium heat) and spray with cooking spray. Cook the sandwich on both sides. Here is where had a problem - runny eggs gross m out to the point that I am super paranoid and always overcook eggs. I stopped cooking the french toast at the time when I thought other people would like it and that was when I took my photographs. Then I put it back on the stove and purposefully overcooked it.

5. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy! I added a little more preserves to mine as well.

VEGAN VERSION:
Obviously use vegan cream cheese (or leave the cheese out all together)
For the "egg" mixture, mix 2-3 tbsp chickpea flour with soy milk and add the spices. Cook as above.

From Food pics

No comments: