Saturday, April 16, 2011

Flour Tortillas

I also made these during my pantry challenge, but didn't get a chance to post them. My friend Joanne gave me this recipe a few years ago, and I forgot I had it until now. Making these tortillas was much easier than it sounds, and they came out amazing! You can fill them with all kinds of yummy fillings, or just eat them plain!


From Food pics


Yield: 12-14 tortillas

Ingredients:

2 1/2 c flour
1/4 cup vegan margerine (melted)
1 tsp salt
3/4 c hot water

1. I melted the butter in the hot water. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, or until its homogeneous. There is no need to do it on the counter top - I just kneaded it right in the bowl.

3. Tear apart golf ball size chunks and roll them into a ball with your hands. On a very lightly floured counter, roll each ball out with a rolling pin until it is as flat and round as you can get it. Seriously put some elbow grease in here - the flatter, the better.

4. Cook each one in a nonstick frying pan for a couple minutes each side. I don't think you need to use oil - I used a tiny bit of spray oil for my first few, but then figured I didn't need it, and the rest came out just as good. Careful not to overcook these - overcooking will make them stiff.


From Food pics

(This one is filled with spinach, salsa, black beans, and a little cheddar cheese - delish!!)

No comments: