Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sweet n Sour Chik'n

How did "Chik'n" become the shorthand for "vegetarian chicken"?  I don't know, but it works for me! So, the "Chik'n" in this recipe has sort of a cute story involving some very nice Whole Foods employees. I made a version of this recipe when I lived in Tallahassee, and the Chik'n I used was Quorn non-breaded chick'n nuggets. I thought they were great, because I love Quorn products. Anyway, I moved to Winston-Salem and wanted to make this recipe for EJ, but I couldn't find any suitable non-breaded chik'n nuggets. What's a girl to do? I went to Whole Foods, and bought the Quorn chik'n cutlets, intending to cut them myself. I asked the cashier if there was a way I could request for Whole Foods to carry what I was looking for. He thought that they should have a better product, but wasn't sure what it was. The girl that was bagging my groceries brought me to the frozen "meat" section and showed me the Gardein scallopini cutlets (which I love, but weren't right for this recipe). Then she showed me these Delight Soy nuggets that I'd never seen before. Apparently they are what Whole Foods uses to make their Mock-Chik'n salad. I told her I hadn't tried the salad before, and she brought me to the deli and got me a (huge) free sample! It was delicious, so I bought the Delight Soy nuggets, and for no reason at all, the cashier gave me a 20% discount. Thank you for your excellent customer service, Whole Foods!

That was the longest introduction ever to a blog post, so without further ado, I give you Sweet n Sour Chik'n (which I will just say quickly was amazing!)!!

From Food pics




Ingredients:

For the sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup water
2 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp cornstarch

For the rest of the meal:
1 package Delight Soy chik'n nuggets
1 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/2 white onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
(I didn't add this, but in hindsight I wish I did): 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/3 cup roasted peanuts, for garnish
Rice, for serving

1. In a large saucepan, start sauteing the chik'n. Mine took awhile!

2. In a small pot, start steaming the broccoli. This step is optional; the broccoli will cook if you saute it with the rest of the ingredients in the saucepan, I just prefer it to be steamed first because I don't like the taste of raw broccoli.

3. Start on your sauce. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water until there are no chunks. Combine everything in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir until thickened. Taste for sweetness. (If you've finished steaming your broccoli, just use the same pot!)

4. Add the onion to the chik'n and stir frequently, until the onion has softened. Add the garlic and stir again.

5. Combine all ingredients to large saucepan and stir until everything is completely heated through. Serve with rice, and top with peanuts.



2 comments:

Jess said...

How do you get your rice all fancy looking? Do you have a secret trick now that you are asian?

Berryhill's said...

I LOVE that I just found another blog that uses vegetarian meat products. We love Quorn products. Lately my husband and I have had a favorite brand - Field Roast Grain Meat. I hope to add some recipes on my blog using their products soon. I have definitely been inspired by your recipe! Thank you :)