Monday, October 3, 2011

Italian herb spaghetti squash

I've been really wanting to cook "autumn" foods lately - the weather has cooled, leaves are starting to change, and since I moved from Tallahassee to Winston-Salem, this is my first real fall in awhile!

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this recipe turned out to be, and how delicious. I used a lot of fresh oregano and some dried thyme and rosemary. I really wanted to use fresh basil, but my plant just died and I couldn't believe that the grocery store didn't have any! Even with this sacrifice, it turned out great. EJ and I will be eating good tonight!

From Food pics





Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 white onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup diced tomoatoes
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp course sea salt
fresh black pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut the squash in half lenghtwise and place face down on an oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
*Hint - you can do this in advance if you know you're going to be pressed for time!

2. When the squash is cool enough to handle, scrape out the seeds and the pulp attached to the seeds. Save the seeds, you can roast them later the same way you would roast pumpkin seeds!

3. Using a fork, scrape the flesh out of the squash. It will naturally come out in spaghetti-like strands. Set aside.

4. Heat the oil in a pan, and saute the onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and saute 1 more minute. Add tomatoes, and saute until there is no excess liquid in the pan.

5. Add the squash to the pan, and stir to combine everything. Reduce heat to low. Add the oregano leaves, spices, salt and pepper. Stir well and heat through. Taste for spice level.

6. Toss with feta cheese. Serve hot!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Is there a reason you don't remove the seeds before you cook the squash halves?

Melissa said...

Alisa, no, there isn't. Is that what you did? How did it work? The only reason I didn't was because the one thing I read said to do it after, but as I was scooping, I was thinking it would have been easier to do it before baking. I didn't post that because I didn't do it that way. I bought another one this week; I'll try scooping first this time! (btw, how did you like it?)