Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Crunchy Miso-Peanut Bowl

I've been on a peanut kick this week. Ever since I spur-of-the-moment grabbed a can of peanuts from Publix last week, I've been hooked. Instead of just gobbling them down by the handful (like I had been doing!) I decided to throw them in a recipe and see how it turned out. I also had some miso paste leftover in my fridge, and as it turns out, marrying peanuts and miso equals happiness. I ate this without any pasta or rice, but if you decide to add some you might need to add more of the miso sauce.


From Food pics




Crunchy Miso-Peanut Bowl

Ingredients:
1 block extra-firm tofu, drained well
3 tbsp miso paste
2 cups water
1 clove garlic
soy sauce, to taste
1 head broccoli
1/2 cup dry-roastedpeanuts

1. In a saucepan, heat the water and garlic to a low boil. Turn off heat and don't allow the water to boil again. Add the miso and whisk. Taste; add garlic powder/soy sauce/thyme leaves or anything else that you think would spice this up if it needs it (I just used soy sauce).

2. Cube the tofu and place in a bowl. Cover with sauce. If the sauce doesn't cover all the tofu, its not a big deal, just try to make sure the sauce covers most of the tofu. You can always add a little water to the sauce if you need to.

3. Leave the tofu in the fridge for 1 hour, but overnight is best. Stir every once in awhile to make sure the tofu stays covered in sauce.

4. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a casserole dish with oil and place the tofu in it (don't add extra sauce - the miso gets all funky if it boils). Bake 20 minutes and flip the tofu. Bake another 25 minutes, or until the top of the tofu is browned.

5. Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and steam them.

6. You can use whole peanuts, but I like to crush mine. I use a coffee grinder to do this. Pour the peanuts in the grinder, and pulse a few times. A lot of the peanuts will be powder, but many should be course chopped and some might even be whole.

7. Combine the broccoli and tofu, add a little extra miso sauce if it seems dry. Top with crushed peanuts.

No comments: