Monday, January 10, 2011

Seitan Wings

EJ and I recently spent time in Denver, where we saw a lot of friends and family. Some of our dear, dear friends brought us to this AMAZING vegetarian restaurant called Watercourse. It was SO. GOOD. One of the appetizers we ordered were seitan wings, which EJ and I fell in love with. Of course when I came home, I tried to re-create them, and I was very pleased with the outcome.

I'm putting 2 versions here; the baked version is clearly healthier, but the fried version tastes better.

Ingredients (Fried):
Seitan
1/4 cup soy milk
2 tbs garbanzo flour (but I would bet that any flour would work well)
Panko bread crumbs
Veg oil, for frying.

1. Mix the milk and flour together with a fork until all lumps are gone.
2. Cover each piece of seitan with the flour mixture, and then toss in bread crumbs.
3. Heat oil in skillet. Fry each piece of seitan ~5 minutes on each side, or until brown and crispy.

Baked.
Preheat oven to 350.
Spray a cookie sheet with oil, and bake the seitan about 15-20 minutes on each side, until brown and crispy.

Serve with your favorite sauce (buffalo, teriyaki, barbecue...EJ and I ate it with some peanut sauce).

From Food pics

1 comment:

E.J. said...

So good. I think these may be better than the Watercourse wings.