Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Filipino Torta

This is sort of like a meat and potato pancake...but way better. I use Morningstar veggie crumbles to vegetarianize it. You will need Jufran to add the final touch of awesomeness, which you can get at any asian supermarket. Jufran is banana sauce, and tastes like sweet ketchup. Its made in the Philippines and very delicious. You can get a regular or spicy variety, but warning, the spicy one is pretty spicy.

From Food pics

Ingredients:

3 cups thawed Morningstar veggie crumbles
4 eggs, beaten
1 potato, diced very fine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
salt, pepper

1. Cook the potatoes so they are slightly soft, but not too long because they will fall apart. I submerged mine in boiling water for less than 10 minutes (but I also cut mine larger than I would have liked).

2. Add all ingredients (except eggs) to a large bowl and stir. Let them cool (so that when you pour the eggs in, the eggs don't cook).

3. Add the eggs and combine all ingredients. The contents should be relatively smooth. Like I said, my potatoes were larger than I would have liked, so I smashed them with the back of a spoon.

4. Spray a nonstick skillet with oil, and when the oil is hot, drop a large dollop of meat/potato mixture onto pan. Cook it like a large pancake. If you use a large spatula, you should have no trouble flipping them.

Serve hot with rice and Jufran. Yum!


From Food pics

No comments: