I got the idea for this recipe from my friend (and awesome running buddy) April. Its very easy and super healthy, a perfect meal for those weeknights that you really don't feel like cooking, but have a hungry husband to feed.
|From Food pics|
I package tempeh, cut into cubes
about 1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tube polenta (i got the tomato-basil one, but you could do whatever)
about 1 cup tomato sauce
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/2-1 cup cheese (optional) (I used mozzarella, which was great, but next time I would try a combo of mozz and feta)
1. Cook the tempeh. Saute the garlic in a little oil for about a minute, then add oregano, tempeh cubes and veg broth. Cover and steam, occaisionally moving the tempeh around so that all pieces are evenly steamed. Crush some pieced with the back of a wooden spoon. If the broth gets low and the tempeh isn't done yet (it takes 4-7 minutes), add a little more. You can tell the tempeh is done when it is nice and tender. Set aside.
2. Preheat the broiler.
3. Prepare a 13x9" casserole dish by coating the bottom lightly with oil.
4. Take the tube of polenta and slice it into thin rounds (about 1/4-1/2" thick). Line the polenta over the bottom of the casserole dish. You'll have to overlap a little.
5. Bake the polenta for 2-4 minutes in the broiler. Keep an eye on it, you want the top to be nicely brown, but not burned.
6. When the polenta comes out of the oven, top it with the cubed tempeh. Top that with the spinach, tomato sauce, and then the cheese.
7. Put the dish back in the broiler for a couple of minutes, just until the cheese melts.
|From Food pics|